Sunday, March 27, 2011

Where My Love Lies

     Last night my parents and I watched "I Am Legend" for the first time.  Awesome movie, but it definitely gave me the heebie jeebies.  The idea of being "the last one" is pretty much a universal fear, in my opinion. 


     So I went to bed last night having some not-so-happy thoughts about being the sole survivor, and then this morning at church we talked about the end times.  Great.  As videos comparing Biblical prophicies and current events played across the screen, I could feel the old familiar fear creeping up on me.  The fear of the unknown, of pain, and of fear itself.  

     Now guys, this is me being very honest.  I'm a Christian, which means I have no reason to be afraid of the end times, but I am.  On the drive home, I started thinking about why I have this fear, and one thing stuck out to me: I love this world. 

Ouch.

I'm afraid of the end times because I love this world.  I don't want to leave it.

     What a slap in the face that must be for the God.  He sent His son to die for my sins, and I'm not rejoicing in the fact that one day (sooner or later), I'll be in His presence forever.  In my deepest darkest parts, I love being here on Earth.  I love what I do, music, entertainment, relationships, shopping, and so many other things. 

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.  -Romans 12:2

     The pull of the things in this world are very strong, and it's natural for us as humans to feel that pull.  But my enjoyment of the things here on Earth should never be higher up than the Lord (or even close). 

Lord, help me to find the joy and peace of knowing You.  Change me so that I desire the things you desire, and so that I am no longer living for this life, but for the life to come.  Forgive me for ever putting material, finite things above You and an eternity in your presence.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. You put into words something I deal with every day. And I KNOW I shouldn't be afraid, but I do love this world...at least my life here. I have a good job that I like in a Christian work environment, a fabulous husband and sweet baby, awesome extended family, a great church family...what's not to love? But in my head I KNOW that I should be praying for Jesus to come quickly and that what we are going to get in eternity is SO MUCH BETTER than what we have here...why is this so hard for us??? Anyway, I'll stop rambling but thanks for the post - good to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete