Saturday, October 2, 2010

Love Is All You Need

     Hey, everyone.  It's been a while, huh?  Well, at least I feel like it has been.

     A lot has been going on lately.  Let me (quickly) catch you up on my life.  I've been subbing almost every day.  Through experiences subbing in every grade level, I have learned that my favorite grades are 2nd and 1st, with 3rd and K behind those.  I honestly don't like 5th grade at all, and 4th is ok.  It's easier for me to deal with the pants wetting and tears than the B.O., bad attitudes, and respect issues. 

     Second, my small group is amazing.  I am so happy with everyone in my group, and I have had such a fun time getting to know them.  Today I spent all day with my prayer partner standing on a street corner and waving at cars (trying to get them to come to a festival for autism awareness).  We're both super sunburned, but it was a great day.  Totally worth it.  :] 

     Speaking of autism awareness, I've had some really great experiences with autistic kids recently.  I've subbed in a 3rd-5th mildly autistic class and a K-2nd severely autistic class.  Honestly, I was super nervous to work in the severe class.  I had no idea what the day was going to be like.  I'd heard some horror stories about kicking, biting, and pinching, but less than an hour in I was hooked.  The kids were so sweet, and once you knew what to expect, their behavior problems were easier to deal with than a typical student's behavior issues.  I feel in love with the students so quickly; I really hope I get to sub in that class again.  I even loved the student who threw a major temper tantrum. 

     I think the point of all of this is that God has been teaching me how to love.  Autistic kids can be hard to love, but God reminded me that even though they act "different," they are still His precious children.  When I deal with those frustrating 5th graders, God is teaching me how to love people that are hard for me to love.  In my small group God is teaching me how to love Him, myself, and the beautiful girls I am sharing life with for these few months and beyond.  After all, in the words of my favorite philosophers, "all you need is love."

I saw this on the sidewalk by the playground last week.  Precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment