Sunday, September 4, 2011

Am I Third?


Earlier this week I was remembering one of our favorite phrases at WinShape: I Am Third.  This phrase stems from the idea of God First, Others Second, and Ourselves Third (or JOY, Jesus-Others-You, as some learned it).  I can't remember the first time I heard this teaching -- it's always been a "truth" at church.

But on Tuesday a friend brought up an idea he'd read about-- should we really be prioritizing like this?  Or, at the core of our being, should we be all about Jesus and let everything else flow out from there?  Instead of putting God, others, and ourselves in a list of priorities, we should be thinking of them in a sphere with God in the center.

At first my mind was very resistant to the idea.  It was like trying to make my body accept a new kidney after getting rid of the one I'd had for 23 years.  But the more I think about it, the more that idea makes sense.  Christian culture has sometimes taken the idea of "thirdness" to an unhealthy level -- a place where we aren't taking care of ourselves.  In the JOY model, it almost feels like they're saying, "How you are doesn't matter."  But if we live with God at the center of everything, our lives should have the perfect balance of service towards others and taking care of ourselves. 

I think the goal should always be to put God at the core of everything we do.  With God at the center, every act and thought will bring Him glory, which is the ultimate goal.  Putting God at the middle of everything is definitely something to strive towards in my life.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these. -Mark 12:30-31

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, we discussed this in Chris Vena's "God and Redemption" class. I felt very similarly to you. Almost a "Woah..wait a minute...wait, why didn't I get this before!" It is so simple and yet so VERY foreign! Keep spreading the truth! :)

    ReplyDelete